Protect My Pipes from Freezing
Cold Weather Tips
- Wrap all pipes! You may purchase special wrapping material or simply use an old sweatshirt or newspaper. Secure them with plastic tape.
- Turn off your automatic sprinklers. Overflowing water from sprinklers can cause hazardous conditions on sidewalks and roadways.
- Know where your main shut-off is located! Disconnect all hoses, and then wrap all faucets to prevent them from freezing.
- Inspect your water meter! The meter will be safe from freezing if the dead air space is maintained around it.
- Traveling during the winter? Ask a friend to check your premise while you are away. Let them know that it's OK to call Carmichael Water District for assistance if the need arises.
- If your pipes do freeze, wrapping them with rags and repeatedly pouring warm water over the rags may thaw them. Once the pipes thaw, rewrap them with dry materials.
- Never use an open flame to thaw frozen pipes! You may start a fire and at the very least, your pipe will burst.